Right to Appeal


Any person who has been found guilty in the municipal court has the right to appeal the ruling to the district court in the county in which the municipal court is located.  The case will be heard, from the beginning by a District Judge. 

If you are found guilty, a written notice of appeal must be filed in the Leavenworth District Court within 14 days. Generally, you must also post an appearance bond with the City of Basehor, or your appeal is subject to dismissal. 

The notice of appeal must be served on the city prosecutor by mailing it to him at the court address. 

An oral statement of desire is not sufficient notice. 

If the convicted person pays the fine which was imposed by the Judge, it might waive the right to appeal. 

The City also has the right to appeal an adverse ruling of the municipal court only on questions of law.